Friday, July 22, 2005

Nothing, really

At the time of this writing:

A family friend just returned from Europe. I know this because my mom messaged me and told me that he has passed her copies of FHM and Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Edition 2005 for me. Mom, ever discreet, merely noted that "They’re in German. Which will make the articles harder to read."

I’ve had a really nice lunch. A nice 3 1/2 hour lunch with two like-minded colleagues. Like-minded cos we all agreed the best way to deal with the terrifying rumours of instability swirling around our company was to get well and truly stuffed. Fried squid, chicken, fish eggs, briyani rice and 4 different kinds of curry. And we didn’t have to lie either. Yes, we’re going out to lunch. Yes, we’ll be back. What you shoulda done missy, is ask when. Nyuk nyuk.

I was a bit of an asshole. An intern rudely shoved an ad in my face and said "Check this for me."
Me: Ok.
Intern: (drums fingers)
Me: You going to stand there while I check this?
Intern: Yes (defiant and smug)
Me: Staring at me while I check it won’t make it go any faster.
Intern: It’s ok, I’ll wait.
Me: In fact, you r staring might make it go a lot slower.
Intern: How long will it take?
Me: Might take forever (smiles sweet smile).

This is a hollow victory. It is petty shit, and it could’ve been avoided. All she had to do was be polite.

I have not run for a week. I’m disappointed in myself cos I was so fucking disciplined. I just can’t seem to get up this week. I worry I might be getting old. But I’m also very, very happy. I don’t feel running is a chore. There are some days I go to bed smiling thinking "At least tomorrow’s a run day." This Sunday, I swear.

The Ringgit has been un-pegged for the first time in 7 years. Our currency has been pegged to the US dollars since the Asian financial crisis of 1998. Today, it floats free. I don’t know why, but I felt proud. Maybe it’s my soft spot for underdogs. Maybe I’m a naïve and sentimental fool who knows fuck-all about international money markets. But I remember my first day without training wheels. The cuts and bruises are how you earn your wings.

I spoke to my brother.
Bro: Miss me?
Me: You call so often I don’t get a chance to miss you.
Bro: :-(
Me: I love you. And that shit don’t change.
Bro: :-)

As I type this, I miss him so so much.


Have a good weekend everyone.

No comments: